â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsCollege's Request for Donations Nets Generous Community Response

College’s Request for Donations Nets Generous Community Response

Back on April 8th, the College of the Rockies put out a call for donations for their COVID-19 Student Emergency Help Fund, resulting in nearly $38,000 raised in just under two weeks.

The College said the money raised will help students facing, “unexpected financial hardship” because of the ongoing pandemic.

“It is heartwarming, but unsurprising, to see this response from our communities,” said David Walls, President and CEO of College of the Rockies. “At difficult times, people are looking for ways to help others and many realize that an investment in College students is an investment in the region’s leaders of the future.”

Columbia Basin Trust contributed $30,000 to the fund, and because of matching funds from the College’s Students’ Association, online donations from alumni, community supporters and staff totalled close to $8,000. Donations will continue to be matched by the Students Association until April 30th, and up to $5,000.

- Advertisement -

“We are grateful to everyone who has donated and extend a special thank you to the Trust for their generous contribution,” added Walls.

The College of the Rockies said their COVID-19 Emergency Help Fund is supplemental financial support that builds off of the federal and provincial government’s implemented programs. Students can make a one-time request of up to $200 to assist with groceries or other essentials and is intended to help students facing challenging times including a loss of part-time or summer jobs, adjustments to online learning, and unanticipated trips home.

Anyone looking to donate to the COVID-19 Student Emergency Help Fund can still do so by going online, with all contributions eligible for a charitable tax receipt.

More: COVID-19 Student Emergency Help Fund (COTR)

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -

Continue Reading