Teck is giving ʔaq̓am $25,000 as part of the company’s support for emergency wildfire responses in B.C., the Northwest Territories, Alberta, and Washington State.
Company officials said Teck is also providing equipment, goods, and other assistance to help battle wildfires.
“Support from Teck’s operations includes providing accommodations and vital supplies such as water pumps, first aid kits, generators, sprinklers, and hoses,” said company officials. “Teck emergency response teams are also working closely with municipal and provincial emergency responders to help suppress fires within Teck’s operating areas as needed.”
The company has donated over $230,000 to various organizations.
“This wildfire season has been devastating for thousands of families and we are committed to helping support impacted communities and people,” said Jonathan Price, CEO. “Teck will continue to support those organizations working around the clock to fight wildfires and provide emergency assistance during the fire season and after as communities look towards recovery.”
Donations were given to the following organizations:
- $50,000 to Canadian Red Cross 2023 Alberta Fires Appeal.
- $40,000 to Canadian Red Cross British Columbia Wildfires appeal.
- $25,000 to United Way Northwest Territories.
- $25,000 to the ʔaq̓am Band, a member of the Ktunaxa Nation.
- $20,000 to First Nations Emergency Services Society.
- $15,000 to the BC SPCA.
- $20,000 to Food Banks BC.
- $10,000 to the Kamloops food bank.
- Washington State:
- US$15,000 to American Red Cross.
- US$5,000 to Second Harvest.
The company also matched donations made by their employees.
“Teck also provides matching donations made by our employees to community organizations of their choice through the Team Teck Community Giving Program, ensuring further support in local communities where our employees and their families are working to ensure their own safety and that of their friends and neighbours,” said company officials.