The Columbia Basin Environmental Education Network (CBEEN)’s Awards of Excellence has returned after a year-long hiatus to honour 12 educators throughout the region.
CBEEN officials said educators received recognition for their efforts in teaching students and the public about environmental sustainability and stewardship.
“The 2022 award winners include early years, Indigenous, and community educators, along with primary and intermediate teachers. All are committed to creating opportunities for people to connect with, learn about, and learn from our amazing local environment” said Mia King, CBEEN Program Manager. “We are grateful for their dedication to increasing the ecological literacy of students, professionals, and community members throughout the Columbia Basin.”
One of the award recipients was Jenna Jasek, Rocky Mountain SD6 Vice Principal for Indigenous Education and Equity.
“My passion for learning about my culture and sharing knowledge with students and staff is a gift for Mother Earth. She is our greatest teacher,” said Jasek. “Outdoor education, learning about the environment and Indigenous perspectives weave together like the perfect braid. I will always be on this journey and invite others to join me.”
CBEEN officials said Primary school teacher Jodi Casey from Invermere was also recognized. Casey said a lot of her lessons involve teaching children in nature.
“It began with the inspiration from an outdoor conference and with some trepidation, I started taking students outside once a week through the seasons. Quickly I came to see that all children thrive and find inspiration in nature,” said Casey. “With a few fabulous outdoor resources, it became so easy to take our learning outside for any subject through all the seasons.
“Now it’s my students and my favourite time of the week. We always come back rejuvenated, having shared a common experience in a fresh, new space,” added Casey.
A full list of 2022 Awards of Excellence in Environmental Education recipients can be found below.
- Indigenous Educator – Jenna Jasek (Invermere)
- Indigenous Educator – Lisa Moore (Revelstoke)
- Primary Teacher – Caren Nagao (Golden)
- Primary Teacher – Jodi Casey (Invermere)
- Primary Teacher – Rita Corcoran (Slocan Valley)
- Intermediate Teacher – Matt Kieller (Revelstoke)
- Intermediate Teacher – Sarah Newton (Revelstoke)
- Early Years Educator – Cheryl Anderson (Kimberley)
- Early Years Educator – Evelyn Walker (Columbia Valley)
- Community Educator – Kathy Murray (Fernie/Elk Valley/South Country)
- Community Educator – Hailey Ross (Revelstoke)
- Community Educator – Jade Berrill (Revelstoke)