Members of the Windermere Fire Department have put out a small grass fire next to Kootenay #3 Road.
They got the call just before 6:30 on Wednesday.
When fire services arrived, the grass fire was being actioned by neighbours that called 911.
It was quickly extinguished by 12 members and three pieces of apparatus.
“While the recent rain and green grasses did slow the fire spread, the depth and degree of the fire to mineral soil was a reminder of the coming seasonal fire hazards,” said Columbia Valley Rural Fire & Rescue Services Deputy Fire Chief Jon Tames.
The fire is believed to have been caused by a trailer being towed with a flat tire.
Patrols were made along the road, but the vehicle or other fires were not found.
“We would like to thank the neighbours for their quick reporting and action on the fire and would remind people to use caution when dealing with any out-of-control fires,” Tames added.
A Category 2 fire ban is being implemented at 1 p.m. on Friday.
Campfires less than 50cm x 50cm are still permitted but all other burning activities are prohibited.
MORE: Fireworks ban takes effect in Kootenays at noon Friday (July 12, 2022)