Downed power lines have caused a grass fire in the ʔaq’am community, which left about 350 customers without electricity in areas around Cranbrook on Thursday.
The Cranbrook Fire Department said high winds knocked down a power line which sparked a fire. However, city officials said the fire is not a risk to the public.
Sally Macdonald, BC Hydro community relations officer said the power was shut off at the request of firefighters.
“We were asked to de-energize the line to those customers by firefighters who were working to put out a fire in the ʔaq’am community,” said Macdonald.
In ʔaq’am, 66 residents located north of 34th Avenue and east of Mission Wycliffe Road have been without power since 10:40 a.m.
Meanwhile, 183 BC Hydro customers located around the Fort Steele area have had their electricity knocked. Over in the area along Highway 3, another outage from downed lines is impacting 113 residents to the west and south of Wardner Fort Steele Road.
Both those areas have been left without electricity since about 10:45 a.m.
CFES said 13 of its members responded to the fire with eight members remaining in the city to maintain its ability to respond.
The fire has been contained and no buildings were damaged and no residents were injured.
BC Hydro said it has sent out crews to make the necessary repairs in all those impacted areas.
Power is expected to be restored by 6 p.m.
Staff responded to a report of a wind driven fire late this morning in the ?aq’am community. We are grateful for the support of community members, RCMP, BCAS and Hydro. The fire is being held at this time and we are thankful that no homes were lost or residents injured. pic.twitter.com/9OfmrmQY6X
— cranbrookfire (@cranbrookfire) April 22, 2021