As part of the Elk Valley RCMP’s season policing initiatives, members have been out on boat patrols on Lake Koocanusa and will continue to do so over the Labour Day long weekend.
“So far this summer, four patrols have been conducted and engaging with boaters by conducting safety checks of their vessel,” said Elk Valley RCMP. “To date, everyone on the lake was compliant and friendly.”
Police said they plan on doing two more boat patrols over the long weekend, again on Lake Koocanusa.
Before heading out on the lake for the weekend, Elk Valley RCMP provided the following safety tips and reminders to ensure everyone has a good Labour Day long weekend:
- Plan ahead, making sure the boat is properly equipped
- Wear life jackets
- Do not mix alcohol and boating
- Never overload the boat
- Check the weather forecast before heading out
- Be on the lookout and maintain safe speeds
- Everyone who operates a power-driven boat needs proof of competency or a Pleasure Craft Operators Card